Thursday, January 28, 2010

Escape to New York...

1After a 10-hour flight and leaving behind Buenos Aires' overwhelming hot weather, I've finally arrived to a  freezing New York, with snow and temperatures below -1°C!!
How will my body react to such climate shock?
Well, so far so good, but I had to unpack my ear-muffs, my coat, my gloves and socks... in fact, everything I've been avoiding these past 6 weeks...
And how did I find my beloved New York?
Calm, very calm. "Everyone's in Palm Beach," my friend Debbie told me at lunch, "or in Aspen, Bahamas or Punta del Este..."
It's because January and February are low seasons for tourism here, there's the winter holidays and it's so cold... There's not much shopping to do either: there are some remains of past sales, 75% off the original price, but all very manipulated and in extravagant sizes only...
And as for window shopping, many stores are presenting their 2010 Spring-Summer collections, although with the cold and all they look weird and little tempting...
So it's mostly a time for visiting exhibitions. The Guggenheim has a few good ones: there's one on expresionism before World War I, there's another one called "Paris and the Avant-Garde", which opened on January 23rd, and there's the Thannhauser Collection also.
Another option is to visit (again!) the Frick Museum, which never disappoints...
New York has something for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment