Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A night with Julio Iglesias...

Last thing I imagined this morning is that I would end up going to the first of three shows Julio Iglesias is offering at the Conrad Hotel, in Punta del Este...
I haven't thought of him in years... except when, from time to time, I check the Hola at the hairdresser and see pictures of his wonderful family and his absolutely perfect five children.
As for his music... well... I grew up listening to him, but now the oldest band I follow is Coldplay!!
But today, when a journalist friend came home for my usual summer interview for her TV program and said that she had tickets, we decided to go.
Entering the Conrad lobby is a show itself... it feels like being in Las Vegas (although, as I told you before, I've never been to Vegas... but did see many movies!), and I loved that atmosphere, as if  we were somewhere else in the World. Among the audience I saw Valeria Mazza, who's not giving interviews these days because she does not feel like wearing make-up, and Ricardo Fort's mother, who very much feels like doing so...
But above all, I loved seeing once again the most popular Spanish artist on Earth. Or at least, he used to be...
The show was well produced, with a couple of Argentine tango dancers, and two very, very beautiful choir girls... One of them, the one from the Dominican Republic, could perfectly well run for Miss Universe or even challenge Megan Fox. And there was also a solo singer, with a voice similar to that of Leona Lewis, and a great orchestra.
And then, there was him... the same voice still, or maybe better, I think...
His look is stuck in 1973, though: black jacket, and a black vest with four buttons. It killed me. And his hair... so abundant and... dark. I'm not being mean about this... it's just some considerations on style.
The audience, though, mainly between 35 and 70 years old, seemed not to care about those details...
And he is such a professional, always joking about himself, age and sex, and still kissing the women on stage with him, vampire-like, as if sucking youth from them... no exaggerations here...
But we loved it. After 40 years of shows (how many has he done? 6.000... 10.000?), he still has it.
A true artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment