Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tips to get dressed with small budgets...

For some time now, many readers of our blog have been asking me for advice to get dressed with style but on a budget...
On this particular summer night I feel inspired and, instead of dinning out or going to some party, I rather stay home and share with you my views on the matter...
To begin with, it is important that you know yourself, know the pros and cons of your body. To achieve this, nothing better than a full-body high-quality mirror...
If you are slightly overweight, then say no to flounces, prints, flowers and wide skirts. Go for complete ensambles in one color, such as black or maybe blue, which is not so popular but very chic too. Grey is another good option, specially if it's winter or if you are blond.
If you have big breasts, use cleavages in V forms and avoid the squared ones. You can also wear turtlenecks that are very elegant.
Of course, if you are skinny thin and tall, do use clothes with flounces... but prudently, though.
A last key point: the length of the skirt.
I hate skirts that cover the knees! That length looks good on no-one. It makes us look smaller and with shorter legs. It's a must for me. Every time I buy a garment, I adapt it to my desired length no matter the views of designers... How many times have I redone an Oscar de la Renta dress to fit my body!
If you are on a budget, buy basics and take good care of them. Iron them every time you use them and if you find a stain, send it right away to dry-cleaning or, if allowed by the label, wash it at home. Brush your clothes and keep them in special plastic bags (which are not expensive).
As basics I understand a straight skirt to the knee (it's what Americans call the pencil skirt), preferably in black, and a white well-ironed cotton shirt, to be used folding its sleeves right to your elbow. To that outfit add a wide important belt and your are done!
Use black classic shoes, please. Or sandals, with a comfortable heel. I love extremely high heels... but I understand that it's not something for everyone. If you want to try how sky-high heels feel like, practice at home: wear them a few hours every day and see how they suit you. Do not go out with them till you are completely sure.
Don't go for too much jewelry. A pair of discreet earrings will do. And as for bags... please say no to FAKES!!! My mother used to say that it's better a plastic purse than a fake Hermés or L.Vuitton. I totally agree.
The same straight skirt works well with a white t-shirt in summer or a turtleneck sweater in winter. And to achieve a super sexy look, try a white or creamy silk shirt as the ones I saw on the Di Doménico runway show (the best items of the collection).
Well, more on my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment