Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Great Gatsby...

Ever since I was 14 years old, I've loved Francis Scott Fitzgerald. I've read, and many times, all his books. I've pictured myself as one of his wretched heroines, I have loved all his leading men (Jay  Gatsby, Dick Diver, Anthony Patch, among other) with passion. I've seen all the movies made from his work. I've even read Zelda's books. However, this past 20 years, I had him a little abandoned, but always present. I've remembered him when I saw "Midnight in Paris." 
Since the buzz around the new version of Baz Luhrman's "The Great Gatsby" began, I became interested. I was among the first to download the full soundtrack from iTunes last week (a fabulous work by Jay-Z, with great artists) and, ever since, I've listened to the songs everyday.
That's why, today, on the première in Paris (and in Cannes, but I couldn't make it there), I bought my tickets and my 3D glasses to see it...
I came out dazzled. A spectacular movie. The cast, marvellous. The costumes (the work of Catherine Marin with Miuccia Prada), incredible. A firework of a movie. I've seen few films this amazing.
And all this without missing the essence of Fitzgerald's play. It's a story about hope (the most violent of drugs), love and the challenge of changing one's past...
Leonardo di Caprio, very good-looking (in spite of being a bit "swollen") and very charming.
Carey Mulligan, simply perfect.
Ok, you'll see the reviews, but I recommend it... Very much...

No comments:

Post a Comment