Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fashion Weeks F/W 2012-2013 (New York and London)

It seems unreal, but somehow we are in the time of Fashion Weeks... New York's shows are over, and also London's, and yesterday those in Milan have started. I'm currently receiving my invitations for the shows in Paris...
Time does fly.
And so, here we are, once again scrutinizing the looks for Fall/Winter 2012-2013.
I really did like the shows at NYC. I loved Ralph Lauren's collection, so "Old England," with tweed suits and jackets, very suitable for spending the weekends at Balmoral. Very "Albert Nobbs." Masculine looks for day, with jackets, trousers, gilets and ties... I've got a wardrobe full of clothes like these... Definitely from another time in my life...
For the evening, long velvet dresses, like those of a true Lady. Enchanting. I don't know if wearable in everyday life, but good enough for dreaming.
Ralph Lauren
I was impressed by the quantity of looks in red... As if designers had somehow all agreed on it.
Let's start with Michael Kors, one of my favorite American designers, who used and abused the red, even for daywear: coats, dresses, skirts, check patterns... in red! Excellent collection, as always, very wearable.
Michael Kors
Marchesa presented a line-up of evening dresses, one of them in red lace, of course. Personally, I would go for the "nude" looks, with transparencies, because I find them more elegant. We'll be seeing many of those on Sunday 26th, at the Oscars (Georgina Chapman, one of Marchesa's designers, is married to Miramax's Harvey Weinstein, a Hollywood tycoon... Get it?).
Marchesa
My beloved Oscar de la Renta designed a collection which, at first glance, could not convince me. Too much light-blue, some pink... Booo. However, after checking it for the third time, I found myself choosing one or two looks. It's a law and I've proved it through my social life: with an Oscar you will almost always be perfect. It's classic chic. Beautiful embroidered coats, prints and one or two very interesting long dresses.
Oscar de la Renta
As for the other designers, such as Alexander Wang, Prabal Gurung or Proenza Schouler, I find them ok, but I'm not mad over their creations...
When looking for newer talents, I prefer those presented in London: much more innovative.
Until some years ago, English collections weren't of much relevance... Today, however, England is known through the talents of Peter Pilotto (I have a day dress of his which I love) or Mary Katrantzou, one of my favorites. But let's not forget to mention Stella McCartney, Christopher Bailey for Burberry Prorsum or Christopher Kane. Hurray London!
Peter Pilotto
However, I've seen nothing to die for... I'm waiting for Milano for that.
Today, we had Prada's show...

No comments:

Post a Comment