Thursday, October 11, 2012

"L'Impressionnisme et la Mode"

Before heading back to Buenos Aires, I could not miss the event of the season in Paris: the exhibition "L'impressionnisme et la Mode" at the Musée d'Orsay. For such a fashion lover as myself, there can be no better chance to see the sumptuous dresses, immortalized by such artist as Monet, Renoir or Manet, next to the very same paintings they served to inspire...
And my joy was still more overwhelming since Jacqueline de Ribes, one of the most elegant ladies in the world, a true icon of Paris, and a personal friend, invited me to take part in the Committee of "Amis de le Musée d'Orsay" and organize a table of friends at the Gala dinner.
Edouard and Jacqueline de Ribes
I'm a great fan of Jacqueline, she is charming, juvenile and knows so much about fashion that I cannot help attacking her with questions all the time. 
Back to the exhibit, before dinner was served, we had the honor of a private visit to admire the incredible talent of the Impressionists, seen not only in their masterpieces but also in the way they were able to capture "l'air du temps" or, as we would put it today, "the look of the day." And what elegance! Thanks to the sponsorship of Maison Christian Dior, the dresses in exhibition were restored, as also the shoes (so tiny!) and the accessories.
Between such clothes, the set design by Robert Carsen, the paintings and the lighting, I felt an immense emotion. I will have to return several times, more relaxed and calmed, to appreciate such beauty.
The gala gathered the "tout Paris" in the splendid room on the first floor, former restaurant of the train station. Among the guests, Valentino, Bernardette Chirac and Bernard-Henry Levy...
With Bernard-Henry Levy
My favorite painting? Hard to tell, but I loved Caillebotte's "Rue de Paris, jour de pluie." It reminded me of some of my Parisian days of Fall, so rainy, grey but wonderful all the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment