Thursday, April 12, 2012

New York, New York...

  
Since I am spending some days in this amazing city, and some of you had trouble reading this piece in our press section, I post here the article on New York that I wrote for Mustique's coming issue...

For many years, many many, I've been madly in love with New York. It is understandable that for a girl of Tuscany like myself, brought up in the love and admiration for American cinema (I've seen Woody Allen's "Manhattan" at least 10 times) and literature (mainly Edith Wharton, but also Henry James... His "Washington Square" is among my favorites... And more recently, the works of Philip Roth), the Big Apple symbolized a true dream. The first time I visited it, I was barely 20 years old, and walking along Times Square, as the kids of "Fame," made me feel on top of the world.

Since then, every time I could, I caught a plane from whenever I was, just to spend some time in my paradise. The most intense of moments was certainly when leaving the airport in a taxi... As the skyline revealed itself in front of my eyes, and New York was offered to me in all its splendor, I was left breathless. I've been so many, many times that I know every corner, every smell, every street and every tree at the Central Park. I've even dreamed, eyes open, what it would be to live in such a modern Babel... But I've never got to stay more than a week or 10 days. I guess I meant it, so my enthusiasm would remain intact for as long as I shall live...
Source: mitographia.com
  
I've slept in most of its hotels: from the Roosevelt, so old fashion, with its little bathtub with the hanging system to let dry the underwear washed at night, to the luxurious suites of the Waldorf Astoria or the Four Seasons. I've even stayed at the mythical Algonquin. Lately I've been staying in the apartment of a close relative, so it does feel like home... Although one can never stay at home in New York... There's always so much energy around, so much to see...

I can choose to do different things on each of my visitis, or maybe repeat always the same... Walk through 5th Ave, dressed in my best outfits and wearing high heels, of course, to Bergdorf Goodman, my favorite store in the world (I even have a BG Card and I know every sales-lady). Have lunch at the restaurant on the 6th floor, overlooking the Central Park and the Plaza Hotel. Or maybe sit at the small table, all the way back, which they always keep for me, at Cipriani and have their artichokes and avocado salad, the best I've ever tasted. Spend the rest of the afternoon at Barney's, Madison Avenue and Henri Bendel, and then head back home to change and finish my day having dinner at Milo's: another of my favorite spots. Milo's is an exceptional Greek restaurant, where fishes and other produce are brought straight from the Mediterranean. It's always, always full. I guess the economic crisis has never caught up with them. You can bump into Al Pacino, Woody Allen or Rupert Murdoch. I never leave NY without dinning there at least once. This would probably be my Midtown Girl day.

But I can also choose to do a tour around the Museums of the city, starting with my all-time favorite: The Frick Collection. It's smaller than the others, but I absolutely love the works in exhibition. Then, of course, I would go to the MoMA and the MET. They all represent pleasures to the spirit, which NYC offers easily. After these tours, I would certainly go have lunch at Candle Café, one of the oldest veggie restaurants in town, on 3rd Ave.

Flipping the picture completely, I could maybe jump from the Upper Side to Downtown where the most impressive towers arise from the surface. Starting with the new One World Trade, 1 WTC or Freedom Tower, which is being built on Ground Zero, imagined by architect David Childs, from Studio SOM. It is said it will be finished by 2013. It will measure 1776 feet, in coincidence with US' Independence year. The second tower, 2 WTC, also in construction (there will be a 3rd and 4th tower and all will be part of the same Center), was designed by Norman Foster, one of the greatest architects of the world. I do like that this huge constructions can, in a way, mitigate the emptiness left by the Twin Towers... Although the scar will prevail forever. For me, two scars cross Manhattan: that of Ground Zero and that of the Dakota, the building where, on December 4th 1980, a madman shot John Lennon.

However NYC is not a city buried in melancholy. Even still, there's so much energy in the air, that one feels pushed towards the tomorrow. And there's not a better place to feel that energy that Broadway... There, in a clash of neons, musicals and plays captivate millions of people. From "Cats" to "The Phantom of the Opera," "The Lion King," "Les Miserables" and "Sister Act," I've seen them all and some more than once. Another pleasure. After such a bath of magic and joy, nothing better than a late dinner in Sardi's.

By now, it's difficult not to feel like you are immerse in a never-before shot episode of "Sex & the City." Who wouldn't feel a bit like Carrie Bradshaw waiting for Mr. Big? How could one say no to the shopping frenzy? Walk through the 5th Ave and Madison, searching for the last Manolo Blahnik on his boutique on 53st, so chic there's a valet ready to open the door for us. Or have the pleasure to try something at Oscar de la Renta. Or maybe dream with Lorraine Schwartz jewels.

But I also just love walking round the three floors of Abercrombie & Fitch (if there's not a huge line waiting outside). It's like entering to the temple of eternal youth. From the semi-naked guy standing at the entrance, to the teen assistants with minis, its the image of the forever young, healthy and sporty America. It works so well than when buying a t-shirt, you get the illusion of buying a bit of all that...

New York is a huge store of illusions, where we all want to buy something. I always leave town with a sunken heart and the promise to return as soon as possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment