Sunday, April 29, 2012

Jewels for Hope...

I first heard the name "Safra" almost 20 years ago. I was in Montecarlo, at a dinner. It was August and many of those who shared my table had been at a party in "La Leopolda," the mythical mansion of Edmond and Lily Safra in Cap Ferrat. I remember that Princess Caroline of Monaco, then with his late husband Stephano Casiraghi, wore a Chanel dress. Many years went by till the news of tragic death of Mr. Safra shocked the entire world.
Last week I came across that name once again, when I received an invitation from Christie's to attend a luncheon with a select group of people to have a glimpse at the splendid jewels which Lily Safra, widow of Edmond, would place in auction on May 14th in Genève.
I love jewels, although I'm well aware that, in this complicated decade of the 21st Century, it's not precisely the time to wear them, and even less, buy them... But I could not refuse the chance to dream a bit...
The jewels I saw are unique pieces, specially designed by the best jewelers of all time: the great JAR (so mythical that it is him who decides whether he'll be selling his jewels to you or not), Suzanne Belperron, Cartier, Bulgari, Boucheron, Van Cleef & Arpels, Fabergé. All gifts from Edmond to Lily.
And now she has decided to part with these treasures and donate the entire proceedings to twenty different charities around the world: from Israel to Rwanda, USA, France, Rumania and Brazil (Lily's home country). Of course, I find her gesture amazing and of extreme generosity. The auction will collect lots of money, because of the rare pieces in the catalog.
I loved the pear-shaped diamond earrings, the ruby brooch by JAR, the D-Flawless solitaire and the "Patiño" ruby...
An era comes to an end: that of the parties at the Côte d'Azur, of a certain ostentation that is now domain of the rich Russian and Indian expatriates.
I hope these wonders sell well, to help all those in extreme need...

No comments:

Post a Comment