Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First week in Paris...

Suddenly, it's been a week since I got here, to Paris. The weather is much better, 9°C... almost hot in comparison to the chill of the first days. I did lots of things already, saw many friends and got up to date with the latest Parisian trends. There's not much out there yet... February is a very calm month, a month for Winter escapades to some, a month to stay at home reflecting on things to others, all far from the effervescence of Christmas Season.
Spring-Summmer collections are timidly beginning to appear, but I must say I'm not at all enthusiastic with what I've seen. The economic meltdown still weights over the heads of American and European citizens and this is reflected in the poor, luxury-free fashions hanging in the boutiques in Paris. Where are the amazing dresses seen on Lanvin's runway? Have they not yet hit the stores? Or the ones I saw yesterday are the street version? And what about Peter Dundas for Pucci's marvellous designs? Do tell me they are not just those two black ones I saw yesterday? So sad and banal... 
Let's give them all some time. The only ones that really caught my attention were some Céline dresses in furious orange (THE color of Summer 2011), which had much more light and joy. Céline's new designer, Phoebe Philo, previously worked at Chloé, when Stella McCartney left. I can tell she's talented and has a certain air very chic. 
I also stopped by Christian Louboutin's, who is mu favourite shoe designer, and much to my surprise classic, black, pointy, platform-free shoes are back! They were seen already at Balmain's runway, paired with worn-out jeans and corsets. A look to bare in mind.
Evidently trousers are back... They were seen in many collections and most fashion magazines want to make them the item. But not to me... I won't wear trousers again! I'm fine with jeans but I no longer want trousers... don't know why. I'm happier with dresses and skirts.
Well, it's all for now. Just some final words to tell you that I'm eager to go visit Cranach's exhibit in a few days and it was a pleasure to see a TV adaptation of Marcel Proust's "La Recherche du Temps Perdu:" a marvelous work of Nina Companeez, with great French actors... a must-see.

No comments:

Post a Comment