Sunday, February 13, 2011

Escape to Milano...

With just a few euros is possible to buy a plane ticket on EasyJet and travel in the morning from Paris to Milano, and return the next day. It's one of the many advantages of living in a central city as Paris... I can do the same with London, Venice or Madrid (vueling.com in this case). And with a minimum internet knowledge, I can get round trips for the same day at a very low cost.
Thus, two days ago I decided to spend the day in Milano. First, because as a true Italian, every once in a while I need to breathe the air of my country, smell its perfumes, hear its voices. And second, because I love Milano, which is the most cosmopolitan, central and interesting city in the peninsula. And I always have willing friends ready to lunch with me at "Baretto" in Via Senato, my favorite restaurant in town.
EsyJet's plane departs form Orly's airport at 11 am and I already have my boarding pass and my SB, which stands for Speed Boarding: for 9,50 euros I have the right to be among the firsts to board the plane and choose my seat. EasyJet does not give-out seats when checking-in: families with small children and SBs have priority.
The plane is full: tourists, businessmen and women. I read my newspapers and before you know, we are ready to land, a little more than an hour later. In Milano the sun shines fiercely and in the air you can already breathe the smell of Spring. The florists on Via Manzoni have mimosas, violets and scented hyacinths. 
The four streets of Milano's Fashion center (Via della Spiga, Via Montenapoleone, Via Sant'Andrea and Via Manzoni) are busy with extremely elegant women, all pedaling their bikes (bicycles are Milanese people's favorite way to move around, for the city is completely flat). Their Hermès bags in the basket, a short fur coat, ballerinas (Do they carry their heels in their Birkins perhaps?) and an impeccable brushing. The guys from PETA know that Milano is a lost cause, Milanese women love fur...
In just a small ratio it's possible to find the biggest concentration of luxury stores in the world... You can go into Prada, cross over to Gucci, return through Pucci and then stop by Dior, YSL, Etro, Ralph Lauren, Missoni, Dolce & Gabbana, etc... Enough to drive any fashionista mad. Now, there's only one place to go for a coffee: the mythical Cova, which exists on the corner of Via Montenapoleone and Via Sant'Andrea since 1817 and everyone stops by. They sell the best "pasticcini" on Earth!!!
I go visit my buyers at Prada and see the last trends. Lots of horizontal lines and strong colors: orange, green and blue. The shoes are either too tall or flat, like some very original leather-braided ballerinas. Few clients around, some Russians from Georgia... I can tell because they want to have something shipped and the saleswoman explains to them that DHL does not go all the way to Georgia.
Dolce & Gabbana is the emporium of lace: in black or white versions, lace is all over their Summer proposals. 
I go have a look around Gio Moretti's, which is multi-brand boutique I love. Something from Balmain, Ermanno Scervino, Lanvin, even some clothes still on sale... It's a pity the Jimmy Choo's booties I like  are size 40... too big for me.
The sun is fading and the twilight is beautiful... my favorite moment of day.
It's time to head to Linate and take my plane with the privileged workers that go or return to Paris...
By Security Control there's a line of at least a hundred people. No stress. I'm not wearing heels... ça va.
In few hours, I'll be in my bed in Paris...

No comments:

Post a Comment