Friday, April 23, 2010

We and the clothes...

Let's talk about clothes...
Why deny it? Fashion is an important part of my life, I live by it every day. I read, follow and study the trends of every season from various maisons and I enjoy it very much. I do so not as a potential designer, but to understand them, adapt them to my style and advise others who seek my opinion.
I do not think of myself as shallow for it and I believe that there's a false misjudgment usually related to those of us who enjoy fashion. Let me say this straight: fashion trends reflect the historical moments faced by our societies, and to understand them correctly you must have some general knowledge. Since forever, fashion has absorbed and adapted details from diverse artistic or literary expressions (there are hundreds of examples of collaboration between designers, painters, musicians, architects...) and knowing about them, being a good reader and observer, allows us to understand the reasons behind everything we use daily and ultimately enjoy the whole process of dressing up. Of course, there are those who get dressed just not to hit the streets naked. I consider myself lucky because I'm able to choose what I wear everyday and I do so knowing that I am part of the last link in a long chain that involves the work of many and which intimately reflects the joys, fears and hopes of the World we live in.
That said, and no longer afraid of criticism, I won't deny that my house is a huge closet: I love clothes, shoes and bags. I am very meticulous and tidy. I register every new piece I buy on a journal where I write all of its details and the date I bought them. However, I do not consider myself a shop-aholic. I've been investing in my wardrobe for years. That's why I don't need to renovate it completely season after season. I've always preferred good-tailoring, high-quality pieces, even if they are simple basics, because they last longer. A good black Chanel suit is classic and everlasting. 
I'm a passionate advocate for rational shopping. I know perfectly well what I have in my closet and when about to buy something new, I think carefully how I'm going to use it and how it will mingle with the things I already have... I only buy what I need. As for dresses, I decide according to which and in how many events I'll be using it and how they'll work with the accessories I have at home. It is a myth that I don't repeat dresses: I just try to use them in different meetings, with different crowds. I even like using pieces from passed seasons, updating them with a modern touch. 
If possible, going shopping shouldn't be an improvised matter. Going shopping when depressed, unsure or willing to hide some other problem will end up pushing us to buy things we don't need or will never use. For an effective rational shopping, you must have time and the will to try every piece, knowing why you need it. Fashion trends are so different and there's so much to choose from, that it's very easy to make mistakes. There are thousands of marketing techniques in malls and stores to push us to the cashiers, as for example, no windows (so we don't see as time goes by), escalators on opposite sides of the mall (so we have to walk the entire floor to reach them), nice scents and "magic" mirrors that somehow make us look thinner. Everything is arranged for us to lose our heads and money! So it's important to stay in focus.
I'll be telling you more on how to give shape to your wardrobe... wait up!

No comments:

Post a Comment