Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Plastic surgeries: yes or no?


I've been meaning to write a post on this for some time now, mainly because you readers ask me constantly about my views on the matter, and then because it is of course rather a current issue... such so that the serious, intellectual and political French magazine "Le Point" dedicated its April 8th cover story (with 16-inside-pages) to the new plastic surgeries. 
As I spend an important part of the year in Argentina, which, next to USA and Brazil, is possibly the country where more interventions are registered, I do have clear ideas on the subject!
Personally I have nothing against plastic surgeries...  However I must confess that nowadays I tend to favor more-preventing-and-less-invasive techniques (laser, botox, LED, etc.), mainly because I've developed a growing panic towards operating rooms and anesthesia!! Yes, yes, I know... Today's anesthesia is not what it used to be, it's more local and less aggressive but still... In fact, because of my fear I've never been courageous enough to get my nose fixed (even when everyone was having nose jobs!) and I see a face -lifting as something very far from me now... 
But I do know a lot about surgeries, because I'm fascinated by them... I even loved watching Nip/Tuck's episodes... even those of Extreme Makeover... I guess that's where I got my fear to operating rooms...
Anyway, today plastic surgeries have become so accessible that our body is no longer a burden given to us by birth but something that can be modified, transformed and molded. The cult of Beauty has become a common ideology to human beings, as philosopher Isabelle Queval recognizes. 
I believe that used with moderation it is a great tool to lift your self-esteem and strengthen your personality... However, I repeat, my actual lifestyle philosophy seeks prevention (eating less and working-out more instead of liposuction) and changing our everyday habits: less sunbathing, no alcohol, no drugs, no cigarettes, more good-night sleeps... Of course, if your nose is too evident or you are uncomfortable with your bust size... why not?
There are great surgeons around the world, many of which are true artists and capable of producing miracles... I remember meeting Ivo Pitanguy, now 83, some time ago. He was one of the first and greatest surgeons, who did both cosmetic and repair surgeries, mainly to children severely burned. He has taught many of today's professionals. 
It's true also that many interventions have become so common that there's a website, SurgeonHouseCall.com, where if you send the picture of what you wish to modify, and after answering some key questions, in a matter of hours, you receive a bunch of budgets and professional contacts willing to take your case.
What can I say? It seems so easy and complicated at the same time... Each one knows what to do to feel better about oneself...


You can read the cover story of Le Point (in French) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment