Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One day un NYC...

Comfortably seated on my seat on AA 181 New York - Los Angeles flight, I finally find the time to post something about my day at the Big Apple... Just 36 hours between one flight and the other, but who cares? Better than nothing, of course. It's a question of organization: you must leave the plane hydrated and well rested, take a quick shower at home, jump into a nice dress and high heels (a "sin" I will regret later, but vanity is stronger than pain...), apply make-up and hit the road. An extremely hot May morning was waiting for me.
I went down on Fifth Ave till Bergdorf, where I found, as every year this time around, a crowd of mad women fighting over the shoes on sale. Almost everything was 30% off... But I realize I prefer to shop on-line and not having to fight for the pair of my dreams... Am I getting wiser? I see Brooke Shields go by with a bunch in her hands...
I decide to take a quick lunch at Cipriani (avocado and artichoke salad, tonno scottato and fennel salad) and I catch a taxi to the MET. I will certainly not miss the exhibition "Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations." Plus, going to the MET is a beauty therapy in itself.
I had already seen the videos done by Baz Luhrmann, with actress Judy Davis, as Elsa Schiaparelli, and Muccia Prada, playing herself, on the website, thanks to my blog, and because Carla had posted the link.
I absolutely loved the exhibition. Seeing all those Prada dresses, shown as works of art, next to the embroidered jackets by Schiaparelli and the suits she custom-made for the Duchess of Windsor... Everything arranged in a fabulous presentation: Met's curators are unique.
I bought two books, one as a gift and the other for my house, a small red Prada shoe with flames on the heel, to put on my desk (I can be a bit kitsch sometimes...), plus two magnets for a friend of mine... And thus, loaded with bags, and with 29°C outside and a burning sun, I went back to Madison Ave. towards 59th street.
I see a girl, eating at Nello's, wearing an orange Victoria Beckham dress which looks great on her, and I instantly want to have it... Almost impossible: It's sold-out worldwide. Pity.
I also see lots of those Madison-women, with their faces altered by lasers, hyaluronic-acid fillings, botox and, maybe too, neck's and eyebrows' liftings. They look as if in their 20s, but they are over 60 years old... I'm rather shocked: they may have baby-faces, but their bodies, husbands and attitudes belong to another age...
I finally make it to the Oscar de la Renta boutique and I go inside to check what's new and refresh a bit from the unbearable heat. And there I find Martín Gandolfo, from Córdoba, who is a reader of my blog and announces it in front of everyone in the store!
How lovely! Can you imagine, to be recognized in NYC because of my blog? I almost faint, honest. We took a picture, that I'll publish here as soon as I can.
Thank you Martín.
Finally I leave empty-handed, but absolutely happy.
The afternoon flew by.
Now the plane again, and tomorrow, Beverly Hills...


No comments:

Post a Comment