Monday, August 1, 2011

Ciao Grecia...

After 10 magnificent days of radiant sun (while it's been raining from St. Tropez to Capri), of a more transparent sea than that of the Caribbean and of a cuisine as I adore... it's time for me to go back to Paris.
If they lasted the 365 days of the year they wouldn't be holidays, right?
Greece is one of my all-time favorite destinations and I try to come here every year.
However, these past two have been special because of the economic crisis that threatens the country. But the Greek still receive tourists as charmingly as ever and, apparently, you don't feel the crisis at all.
It's August and it looks like a Babel tower: you can hear so many different languages being spoken around you that it's hard to tell them apart! I can't really say if I'm listening to Russian, Hebrew, Danish or Norwegian... I even bet against myself to guess the country of origin of my beach neighbors or those seating next to my table...
As for the cuisine... There's no food I enjoy more than the Greek: grilled octopus, feta cheese, grilled zucchinis, tomatoes from Santorini, roasted eggplants, 0% yoghurts with a touch of honey... Not to mention the huge capers and black olives (which I don't eat. but enjoy just by seeing and smelling), tuna carpaccios and olive oils. So simple and tasty...
Every time I eat, I imagine Ulysses and Enea eating just the same... Local produce are so good that they haven't change much in the past millennia.
To recommend, the restaurant Kalita, with its octopus carpaccio and bean puree. Also Nobu, at the Belvedere Hotel, Agua in Little Venice and Kuzina, in the beach of Ornos.
Many nice stores with beach wear, colorful and original. My favorite: SOHO SOHO.
Well, time to go.
Ciao Grecia, all'anno prossimo...

No comments:

Post a Comment