Saturday, July 23, 2011

Contrasts...

Today I travelled to Greece.
It's the holiday season in Europe, today is Saturday and everyone is happy and relaxed. One can never be sad when going to Mykonos, the island of parties, of sun and beaches. And a place far from Paris, with its awful weather and unusual cold. Our concerns over Greece's debt are left for some other time...
All girls here look like Kate Moss at her best, with the right looks and the artfully untidy hair. The men, tanned and handsome.
I was sad to read about the death of Lucien Freud on the plane. I had the privilege of meeting him last year, during his Paris exhibition, and I felt so happy... He is one of my favorite artists, if not THE favorite. But well, he was 88: it's kind of normal to die at that age.
And then, in my hotel room, overlooking the sea, with its islands and reddish dusk, I learned about Amy Winehouse's death...
I loved her as an artist, admired her incredible talent. Of course I did not shared her lifestyle, or self-destruction I shall say, so opposite to who I am, to my love for life, well-being, health and good habits.
But I felt devastated... To die on a sunny July day, at age 27... No matter if it was her "choice." Awful all the same...
I listened to her song "Love is a losing game" on my iPhone... and I wished Amy would finally find some peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment