Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Packing...

There's nothing more boring, and yet impossible to delegate (with the risk of finding just what you don't need), than packing your luggage.
Believe me, I have experience on the matter. I've been packing and unpacking for years! And even more this time around, when I'm in Paris during the European summer, and constantly hopping from one place to another.
This is why I've developed my own personal method, which starts with a sheet of paper and a pen: how many days will I be traveling? 10? 5? I check on the web the weather forecast of my destination.
I then write down how many times I'll be dining out. If I'll be going out 10 times, then I'll be needing 10 different outfits. That will require 10 pairs of earrings (stored in individual plastic bags). Shoes, I chose pairs that work with as many looks as possible. They weight too much and are bulky. The ones I carry travel in their own fabric bags. Purses, also a few... Normally I do just fine with two Judith Leiber clutched, a golden and a black one.
If I'm going to the beach, I calculate 10 bikinis, with shorts and cover-ups to match. The same with my gym outfits: shorts and tank tops in Summer, sweat pants and hoodies for Winter.
Once I've wrote down all I'll be needing, I take out the items from my wardrobe and start organizing my looks. Nothing is left unplanned.
For some years now me beloved Louis Vuitton suitcases serve only for decoration... To heavy to use nowadays. Airlines have firm weight restrictions: never more than 20-23 kilos per piece. So I've gave them up and replaced them for simple black bags (customized with yellow and red ribbons for easy recognition) for my trips around Europe and to Uruguay. For intercontinental flights, I prefer T. Anthony's suitcases. If I want everything to arrive perfectly, I put sheets of white silk paper in between dresses.
The heavy stuff goes under and the lighter things on top.
Shoes, my creams and make-up products go on a separate bag. But, of course, if I must travel light, I take the precaution of storing all liquids in well-closed plastic bags.
When returning back, however, I'm not that organized!!!
I always carry fabric bags to store my laundry and I never forget a book or two.
For longer trips, I carry in cabin a cashmere blanket (a gift given to me a long time ago), a black gym pant and a black cardigan, which I wear as soon as I find my seat. I remove my make-up and use a strong hydrating cream. Then I try to drink a glass of water per hour of flight. And I carry my own snacks, because plane food is usually too salty or fatty.
What else?
Have a nice trip!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment