Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lucian Freud and me...

This afternoon I've been to the avant-première of the most awaited exhibition of the year: that of Lucian Freud at the Centre Pompidou.
It's been a while since his work was last shown in Paris: in fact, since precisely 1987, with his last retrospective. But his talent and fame was grown so much since then!! He is said to be the most expensive living artist, specially since his painting "Big Sue" (a naked portrait of Susie Tilley sunk on a couch) was auctioned for 33 million dollars in 2008.
As you probably know, he is the grandson of Sigmund Freud, was born in Berlin in 1922 but has been living in England since 1939. He started out as an illustrator (a very talented one indeed) but his art changed completely when he first met Francis Bacon, another great English artist. Since then his work suffered radical changes and became utterly cruel: his portraits, as also his self-portraits, picture bodies on the verge of decomposing, mostly completely naked, or women beaten by the action of Time, with clinical realism. He even made a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II of England, but not much is known of the procedure for he is also famous for having a temper!
He has always had a passion for women, specially young ones, and it is said that he has about 40 children between the legitimate and the illegitimate ones. He does not enjoy leaving his country, even less his house and atelier, where it is said that he paints completely naked.
He lives with his assistant, Dawson, who acts as personal secretary, model and even cook if required!
So back to this afternoon, it was the Minister of Culture himself (Frédéric Mitterand) who greeted special guests at the entrance of the Pompidou. Fifty paintings in total, divided into 4 rooms: indoors, outdoors, self-portraits and giant naked works.
Everything wonderful to me, specially now that I'm particularly sensitive to his work, but I do understand that some of his paintings might be rather shocking to others...
... But that's how Art is, right?
As I was walking around the exhibition I saw a tall thin man with magnetic blue eyes. A younger man was standing next to him... suddenly I realized... it was he, Lucian Freud himself!!!
I almost faint! After considering it for a couple of seconds, I couldn't help it anymore and instead of regretting it for my entire life, I walked to him, shook his hand and said: "I want to express my admiration, you the most big artist for me!!! Sorry for my English, but I'm Italian..."
So he took my hand, smiled and said something I could not understand because I was in such a state of emotions... but he was gentle and kind.
I stood still in embarrassment and hot red as a tomato... I never blush!!!
But I did it and was able to overcome my shyness...
The opportunity of a lifetime...

Painter at work, reflection. 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment