Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Forever YSL...

As the cherry in the cake of this frenetic and amazing (at least for me) Fashion Week in Paris, today I went to the Avant-première of the retrospective exhibition dedicated to Monsieur Yves Saint Laurent, le plus grand parmi les grands...
At the Musée des Beaux Arts de la Ville de Paris, located at the Petit Palais, from March 11th to August 29th, 300 of Saint Laurent's creations will be shown to the public on a display set and supervised by Pierre Bergé, long-time partner to YSL and also his manager and heir. 
In the Fashion World, Saint Laurent receives the admiration and respect of a Royal Highness... which he certainly was!
To visit such an exhibition I felt I had to wear a design of his, and what could be best that one of his trademarks... the smoking!
So I rescued my old, yet impeccable, black smoking circa 1995... so well cut in a grain de peau no longer available. It fitted me perfectly, except for the length of the trouser, not because I'd have grown since then but because in 1995 I used 8 cm-tall heels and now I only go out with 14 cm-tall shoes!!!
(Note to me: I'll lengthen the hem tomorrow!)
I felt as a servant paying homage to her Fashion God as I entered the Petit Palais...
So much people were waiting outside, trying to get inside or grab an invitation to do so... maybe hundreds... all of them facing the deep winter cold of Parisian nights...
But it was worth it, just to see those designs that now have become masterpieces, some inspired by trips (mostly to Marrakech), paintings (Van Gogh's, Mondrian's...), or cultures (for example, Russian), also all his creations for the movie business, such as the amazing costume worn by Catherine Deneuve in "Belle du Jour."
I was so impressed by the smoking section, with all its variations: with skirt, as a dress, short, long... never-ending versions of a unique concept. A concept that spoke of the freedom in women to dress as men but still keep intact her femininity and seduction...
It was not enough for me... I have to go back again, maybe several times...
So much to see... impossible to see it all once...



No comments:

Post a Comment