Sunday, March 20, 2011

"La Prima Cosa Bella"

What to do on a Sunday in March, when you are suffering from an otitis and are unable to leave your house or travel?
You can only stare at the Park through the window, finally covered with sun and blossoming trees, and watch a movie. As this was my case, I had no other choice than look through the DVDs my sister buys on the Italian Amazon, and with much much luck I found a little masterpiece... "La Prima Cosa Bella," directed by Paolo Virzì.
I've had read its critics last year, all very good, but somehow it has exceeded my expectations and filled me with emotions. Firstly because the story is set in Livorno, which is a Tuscan town where they speak the same Italian dialect than in Montepulciano, where I was born. And second, because the story of Anna, a beautiful and rather thoughtless mother, of the ups and downs of her life, always involving her two beloved kids, till the end, thirty years later... is fascinating and made me cry seas of tears!!
Amazing actors: Micaela Ramazzotti (young Anna), Stefania Sandrelli (elder Anna), Valerio Mastroandrea, Claudia Pandolfi... all of them stupendous. And that portrait of the provincial Italy from the 70s till today, so fair, so "dolce-amaro," so filled with love...
I do not want to forget the music, our music... as that of the band "I Richi e i Poveri," who sang the song that was used as title for the movie...
A visit to a past full of nostalgia...
You can watch the trailer by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment