Sunday, May 30, 2010

Some thoughts from Buenos Aires...

I landed in Buenos Aires on Tuesday 25th, very early in the morning... The air was still full of the excitement and joy of the night before, of the sumptuous celebrations of the re-opening Gala of the Teatro Colón.
And, after many days of awful weather, the sun was shining again!
How wonderful too to be back home, with its scent and all my beloved things that have been with me this past 20 years...
But still it was a National holiday and the most important one: that of the famous May 25th of 1810.
I followed the amazing parade along the Ave. 9 de Julio, the show by Fuerza Bruta and the peaceful pleasure of watching the Argentine people (Three millions? Six millions?) pour into one of the most important avenues in the world to express their love (for once!) to this generous country that received and accepted as own many Italians, Spanish, Germans, Jews, French, etc.: Argentina.
With its virtues and flaws...
Anyway, I also witness the other side of the story on Thursday when I suffered the biggest traffic jam of my life when trying to reach the cocktail held to celebrate Editorial Perfil's Awards. Ave. 9 de Julio was closed for cleaning and restoring, as a lady after a party...
Buses and cars were stuck there... after 45 never-ending minutes to cross 10 blocks, I jumped out of my car and defying the wind, the light rain and the not-so-friendly-stare of the many employees heading to Retiro after a long day of work (Why would they stare at me with kindness? Because of my Oscar de la Renta coat or my Louboutin shoes?), I crossed the Avenue and made it to the Hotel.
On Friday I saw Argentina's National Team departing from Ezeiza's Airport to South Africa for the World Cup and I that almost made my cry... so many hopes, Maradona's promise to celebrate naked at the Obelisco if they won, the passion of the people... So Argentine, so light blue and white, with that touch of drama and nostalgia that makes Argentina so special and unique.
Brasilians, instead, were singing and dancing to samba...
And I loved the picture of the whole team in grey suits with light blue ties, in Etiqueta Negra, so handsome, elegant and united... bearers of the hopes of an entire country.
Me, Italian and with a French last name, will be "supporting" Argentina during this World Cup...

No comments:

Post a Comment