Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More on fashion...

All the clothes I've been describing on previous posts are easy to match between them and can be highlighted with different accesories. If I travel somewhere hot, I always carry a bikini and a summery dress in orange or salmon pink. If it's winter and it's cold, I pack a pair of boots.
It is generally recommended that basic pieces should be bought in neutral colors, such as black, white or beige. However, each of us know which are the colors that look good on our skin. To a woman with a very pale skin type a total-black-look would probably enhance her paleness. This is why it's important to choose other elegant options in the color palette, such as brown or blue. My favorite colors are orange, emerald green and red. They work good with my skin. For more classic pieces, I prefer black or marine blue.
I feel so lucky to have enough room to keep all my clothes! I find it hard to give them away. I cherish and keep them with care and love, because each of them remind me of a special occasion, they carry part of my soul. I look after them and protect them with discipline, I brush them, pay for good dry-cleaning services (unfortunately there's no saving here...) and if they get stained at a party,  it's the first place I go the morning after. I promptly send everything that needs fixing to the tailor's for I don't keep anything in my wardrobe that is not ready to be used when I want to. I've invested in wooden hangers, with bold shoulders and I protect my dresses from dust and light by keeping them in plastic covers. I place sweaters and t-shirts on shelves, so they don't loose their shape, and in drawers I keep my underwear and bikinis. I use fragances and anti-moth methods.
A tidy and coherent wardrobe is enjoyable and speaks for yourself. It will help you decide what to wear each morning and prevent you from panic if you happen to have an event. And if you have choosen your clothes consciously and kept them with care, your wardrobe will age with you. A bad clothing choice could increase or reduce our age. What looked great in our twenties could become a disaster in our forties. An elegant woman knows what favors her age. As we always say here, in our blog, personal style has nothing to do with the years on our ID. It's a matter of attitude. When you are twenty, it's time to experiment. When you are thirty, you mature. And when you are forty, you enjoy. Dressing correctly is so much more effective than a plastic surgery!! Elegance is accepting who you are now. And if you work up to preserve your arms and legs, you'll be able to show them at any age.
Anyway, there's things I don't recommend, no matter how fit you might be... In your 40s and 50s, you have to avoid making a fool of yourself: white socks, weird ballerinas, extravagant stuff... that is, everything that looks too Paris Hilton!!

No comments:

Post a Comment