Friday, December 3, 2010

La Règle du Jeu...

On Tuesday evening I had the honor of being invited to one of the most incredible cocktails in my entire life. Incredible because in a very limited space, that of the famous Café Flore in Boulevard St. Germain, the most distinguished people in today's Culture were gathered together. 
Bernard-Henry Levy celebrated the 20th Anniversary of his cultural magazine "La Règle du Jeu," which he created on a cold November day of 1990 together with 5 other intellectuals and which he commanded with a strong hand all these years, against all obstacles and difficulties. 
The magazine publishes articles on Literature, Philosophy and Arts and now has its own digital version online. No one would miss Bernard's invitation so the place soon turned too small. People waited outside, trying to escape the freezing snow. I first run into Alain Delon, handsome as ever, not minding the cold, with his unbuttoned shirt and grey suit. I told him I have re-seen his movie "La Piscine" this month in Paris and that I've loved it again. He answered me with sadness: "But I'm no longer the same...," so I told him he would be the seductive Alain Delon to Eternity. He then kissed my hand... and the palm of my hand...
Then I had the joy of being introduced to Milan Kundera... As he is one of my favorite writers, I almost fainted in front of him. I told him so, and then again I received two kisses, this time on my cheeks... I also met Vera, his charming wife.
Following the movement of the crowd, I saw Patrick Bruel and Vincent Lindon, another actor I admire. I chatted with Umberto Eco, wearing a green trench, a wrinkled hat (which he kept on all night), and a cigarette hanging from his lips. I told him I was reading his book "Il Cimitero di Praga" and said I've reached the first half... "Well, go on, go on," he said, "the best is yet to come..."
Marisa Berenson also walked by, with a calotte hat on her head, blonder and more beautiful than in pictures. A small grey man passed near me too: it was Roman Polanski.
Around 8 pm Bernard did a speech to thank all of us there, specially the writers and journalists that have contributed with their pieces and articles to the success of La Règle du Jeu.
He then mentioned his latest battle and that of his magazine: avoiding the stoning of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, a woman in prison in Iran, charged for being adulteress (although not yet proved). That's BHL, always fighting to help and support the weakest...
Alain Delon and Bernard-Henry Levy

No comments:

Post a Comment