Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 1st in New York City...

It's cold, as usual around these days of December...
First thing in the morning, today I went to get a pair of ear-muffs, great American invention.
Just in case you don't know, it's a head-band, of black or brown velvet, that has two round cushions, of fake or real fur (who cares?), to protect the ears from the cold wind that blows untamed from the Hudson River.
The advantage of ear-muffs opposite to hats is that they protect you from the cold without ruining your hair-do.
NYC during Christmas' eve is such an event... legendary, actually. So many traditions, that do not seem to diminish with the recession.
Everything kicks-in in Thanksgiving, the last Thursday of November and one of the most important celebrations of the year. From then on, retailers create different events to attract shoppers... for instance, Black Friday, were sales begin, specially in house apparel, bedding, etc. Then, there's Cyber Monday, were customers are bombarded with promotions and discount coupons to shop online, specially electronic and computer stuff.
And today, December 1st, it was Ladies' day... discounts in all labels and designers, ranging from 40%  to 50% off.
Bergdorf & Goodman was a runway of women in fur coats and Hermès bags fighting over Christian Louboutin booties.
I do have experience in Pre-Christmas sales, so I do not think I could say that recession brought less enthusiasm or less display of Holiday decorations...
On the contrary, I was struck (as usual, really) by the fantastic window display of Bergdorf... Such an ode to fantasy and immagination, luxury... so against recession!




Magic at Bergdorf

NYC is NYC, recession or not.
To prove it, enough to grab a bite at Cipriani on 5th Ave., one of the hotests spots in town.
By 7 pm it was already crowded.
Next to my table I had Harvey Weinstein, Hollywood producer and Tycoon from Miramax, having dinner with his two small daughters... He was having a milanesa steak with spaghetti... Pasta with meat? An heresy for an Italian like myself...
I walked back home some blocks on 5th Ave... It was so cold... but I had my ear-muffs on...

No comments:

Post a Comment